A blog about the life of a 33-year old beauty junkie who is trying to find her place in the world! From being a Mom, being passionate about helping other Moms save some cash, to being a successful businesswoman. I've walked all sorts of lives, and I want to share them with you!
The one about getting up at 5.
My kids have some sort of evil plot against me and have decided that their new wake up time is 5 am. This is terrible obviously. No one loves getting up at 5 am. In fact I've compiled the Top 5 reasons why getting up at 5 am sucks.
5. No one is happy at 5 am. I'm crabby. The kids are crabby. Everyone is tired. No one got a desirable amount of sleep.
4. You have to drink 2 cups of coffee in order to feel human. But 2 cups of coffee gives you the jitters and makes it to where you can't nap later. It's the ever apparent coffee/nap crisis.
3. You are guaranteed to have a weird schedule for your baby for the rest of the day. When the first nap of the day is at 7 in the morning, you just know the day is going to be weird and illogical.
2. The sun isn't up. It should be sacrilege to wake up before the sun is up. If the sun isn't up, you aren't up. I've tried to explain this logic, but Tristan just stares at me blankly as if he has no idea what I'm talking about.
1. Caillou is on at 5. Caillou is terrible and all kids love it. There are so many terrible things about Caillou I could say. Why is he bald? Why is his show a dream sequence for puppets? Why does he have such a terrible, whiny voice. WHY?!?! Terrible. And if you get up at 5 you will be forced to watch that terrible show and it'll just irritate you because you should be sleeping but instead you are listening to that whiny little asshole complain.
In short, I'm crabby as hell. I hate getting up at 5. I would be cool with 7 or even 6. But, 5 just makes me say, really kids, really?
Christmas is coming! I'm getting so excited for Christmas this year. I haven't gotten a lot of things yet, but I already know what all the kids want. I'm most excited for Harper's stuff because the Calico Critters are toys from my childhood that I ALWAYS wanted. I'm probably going to have just as much fun playing with them as she is! Ha! Calico Critters and a Lalaloopsy doll that poops charms for a charm bracelet (so weird) are all that Harper talks about lately. It's pretty cute.
Since I picked up my secondhand Critters off of Ebay without any clothes, I've been busy working away to make everyone clothes. Here are the final shots of the 3 families I got:
I think everyone turned out really cute! It's all DIY clothes that involve NO sewing. No sewing was important because in my family I don't sew, my husband does. Seriously, he's the designated stuffed toy fixer. I dressed all the girls in simple dresses, the babies in diapers, and dads and boys …
Today the mailman came and he brought with him the most anticipated Christmas gift! The calico critters! Hooray! I can't wait to see Harp's face on Christmas morning. And my face is happy because they are in awesome condition. The only issue that they have is that some are missing their clothes. But, these guys are the vintage version. Some of them still have their 1985 Epoch stickers. Which means that this was a super good buy. The vintage ones sell for even more. So when Harper gets older if she gets tired of them she can get rid of them for a decent price!
So, since some of these guys need clothes, my mommy DIY cheap brain has been working overtime to think of ideas on making these guys some clothes that don't involve me sewing. I'm not a seamstress. I found a tutorial on Pinterest for making doll dresses out of socks, but when the Critters got here, I quickly realized that a sock would be too small. Even my son's infant socks didn't have the snug fit I want…
Gas. Gas is so damn expensive. My family goes to the gas station a lot. My husband is a delivery driver and spends most days out in the field. He makes numerous trips to the gas station for food or drinks. We are a typical family who gets gas in our vehicles at least once a week, too. You have got to find ways to save when you cut your budget. My favorite gas saving app/money making app for gas stations hands down is trunow.
The trunow app is two-fold, the app will tell you which gas station has the cheapest gas around you, and then if you take pictures of your gas receipt, it gives you points for them which you exchange for cash or gift cards. Again, I have really specific rules for what apps I will use. See Part One of my post about ibotta.
I'm all about this app since I am dually saving money because it's finding the lowest gas price for me and adding to my reserve funds through gift cards. trunow also allows you to spend your saved money at gas stations, however, I don'…